07 November 2011

A Quick One ::OR:: The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

First off, for your listening pleasure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY&ob=av2e

Now that we have that out of the way, I just wanted to drop a line detailing what's been happening inside Rule 6 HQ for the last few months.....

I mentioned there's a new recording studio happening on the north side. There's a lot of work going on to bring that space up to maximum operation & comfort, and we're currently tracking a young man named Devin Braggula (formerly a member of fAbrics) who's creating his first solo record. Lemme tell you, I've heard a LOT of crappy teen music, and I can tell you that Devin has an incredible ear, great songs, and genuinely listenable melodies. This is going to be a great album, & I hope he'll consider letting us release it through Rule No. 6 Records. There'll be many more details on that (as well as pictures, maybe vids!) on the wordpress site I'm creating for the studio. I'll be posting the link to that as soon as it's live. It's going to be a real challenge

There's been a lot of music being made in Chicago in 2011. Every band I know is working on or promoting a recently-released album, EP, or single. It's been a busy summer for us at Rule 6, but we're coming back from this season with a strong schedule for the fall/winter. There's a two-pronged attack coming: The first prong is a new set of projected releases. I'm not going to mention any names at this time until we finalize the details, but there are possibly 3 recordings we're looking at releasing in the next 3 months. The best bit is that I'm not involved in the performance or recording of these releases, for the first time in Rule 6 history! If you go to our bandcamp page right now, I've either recorded or played on every single one of our releases. Believe it or not, when I founded this label my intention was not to release my own music. The goal was to provide an outlet for good music that didn't have much chance of distribution otherwise, from my friends or word-of-mouth friend networks. The issue at the beginning was a lack of things to release. After only two years of existing and squeaking by, friends are starting to take notice. We'll have more information for you on these upcoming projects in the next couple of weeks.

The second prong is going to drag this label physically out of the nebulous interweb cloud & toss it right into the faces of Chicago consumers. We're going to invent Point-of-Purchase display stations to plant at various consumer outlets (not just record stores) throughout the Chicagoland area! Each display will hold 2-4 (maybe 6!!) different albums chosen to represent the full range of Rule 6 releases. Each will direct potential consumers to all the various places online that showcase what Rule 6 does, of course. The real benefit of this is that for the first time we'll be able to reach consumers that would likely never have heard of Rule No. 6 otherwise. We won't be depending on friend networks or word-of-mouth to accomplish our advertising & promotion. We'll be standing out on the corner with our music in our hand, ready to do business. Exciting shit, if I say so myself.

So until the next time, when we can unveil the newest of the new, remember to keep on pushin'.




No comments:

Post a Comment